As you may be aware, families and individuals were forced to flee from their homes and country in Afghanistan in the fall of 2021. Initially housed at military bases to enter the United States for refuge, many families and individuals were quickly relocated to New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Bedford Presbyterian Church and many community members were poised to assist with this effort.
Today we are looking for additional help.
We need people to serve on subcommittee teams to provide additional support services. The team will spend time with our new neighbors providing help with any of the following:
- fundraising support for urgent medical/dental needs
- collect seasonal clothing and hygiene supplies
- collect furnishing and household items
- secure groceries and meals
- provide English language services
- help organize family schedules (medical appointments) and volunteer scheduling
- accompany family members to medical appointments and advocate for healthcare needs
- help with English speaking skills
- provide financial education and guidance
- secure job development opportunities
- provide transportation assistance
- develop community guides
- and more!
While the team is managed here in the church, many volunteers from the community are not church members. Reach out to your friends, family, and whomever you meet that might be interested. Contact Larry Cowen or Sean Michalski if you are interested in sharing your talents and energy.