This year, 2017, the Deacons will be providing 250 Thanksgiving baskets to our local community.
In addition to a Thanksgiving dinner, our baskets help to provide needed supplies for families.
A Deacons Envelope is provided in today's bulletin for your monetary gift. Thank you for your help!
Deacons are the "heart" of the church and offer sympathy and service to those in crisis or need within our church and surrounding community. To support their ministry and work, on the first Sunday of each month, we collect a special offering, The Deacon's Fund.
- Organize visits to the elderly and disabled
- Handle distribution of birthday, get-well, and sympathy cards
- Respond to critical needs including food, clothing, medicine, shelter, home repairs, unemployment, and emotional needs
- Prepare meals for those who are ill or recovering from hospitalization
- Provide rides to church and emergency transportation
- Organize the Partners in Prayer Group
- Help youth in confirmation class with deacon visitations
- Organize the annual clothing drive, and Thankgiving Basket distribution, and food for New Horizons
- Coordinate distribution of flowers at Christmas and Easter
- Coordinate and participate in communion distribution
- Administer the Rev. Harold G. Williams scholarship fund
- Coordinate funeral and memorial receptions
The Deacons Fund continues to be an important source of crisis assistance for members of our church. The needs in our community are still growing. Assistance can be requested confidentially through Pastor Karen. Please remember to support the Deacons Fund in the collections taken on the first Sunday of every month to help those in need.
How to Get Involved...
Are you looking for simple ways to get involved?
Join us! Be a Deacon for a Day and deliver Easter lilies or poinsettas at Christmas time to some of our church members and friends who cannot make it out to church regularly. Spending a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon to visit with some of our long term members is also very rewarding and a great way to share in the ministry of our church. You can also join the Meal Ministry by looking up the group online through MyBPC or by contacting the moderator of the Deacons or one of the co-pastors.
Each month the Deacons give to an organization or charity such as the New Horizons Soup Kitchen. Recently we have given to the Pastors' Discretionary Fund which is used to help folks in need, identified by the church staff or other organizations. In the wintertime people are often in need of money for heat, food, clothing or medicine.
Deacons' Prayer Chain
The Deacons have an active prayer chain for the needs of our church community. If you are in need of the Deacons’ prayers, please contact the moderator of the Deacons or one of the co-pastors.
Did you know that BPC has a Meals Ministry that delivers meals to folks in need? For more information about how you can help, contact Deacons Joan Nixon or Sue Bernsten, sign up in Fellowship Hall or visit MyBPC.