Engaging in a partnership with our 8th grade youth in the confirmation process is one of most meaningful and wonderful things BPC undertakes every year. Confirmation is a serious, active, challenging, thought provoking, and fun exercise in exploring our faith! We hope youth who are considering confirmation will:
- Choose to be baptized or confirm their baptism
- Declare their faith by creating personal, inspiring statements of faith
- Choose to be commissioned to responsible church membership where they will share their gifts
- Experience the benefit of learning from their peers and partnering with church leaders to grow in their discipleship and commitment to Christ
- Come to know more about the Bible, Reformed theology, Christian history, mission and service, prayer, worship, what it means to be Presbyterian, and what it means to be a contributing member of BPC.
Confirmands, as your church family, we will be a faithful partner in the journey. We will welcome you and encourage you and pray for you. We will find ways to share on our own faith journey to enhance mutual learning. We will help you with your statements of faith and finds ways to support you and lift you up as you get more involved in the life and leadership of the church! That is our Baptismal promise to you!
Confirmation begins with a mandatory introductory meeting for parents and 8th grade youth on Sunday, September 17th. Join us for worship at 5 p.m., followed by a potluck dinner and info meeting. For more information call the church office at 472-5841. Confirmation usually meets the 1st and 3rd Sunday following 5 p.m. worhsip. Participation and celebration of worship at 5pm is an integral part of the class.
Activities Required for Confirmands
- Active participation for worship, dinner, and class. Regular attendance is expected and you may only miss 1 class!
- Read a Gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John) by the end of February
- Choose a sponsor (active member of BPC) to be your partner in this journey. Contact Co-pastor Karen if you need help finding a sponsor.
- Make a gift of your own money to a church/charity of your choice.
- Participate in a mission project of your choice
- Be a worship leader either at the Christmas Eve Youth Service or Easter Service.
- Attend 1 worship service of another church or faith by the end of December.
- Write your own Statement of Faith
Confirmation Schedule 2017-18
All times are 5-7:30pm unless otherwise noted!
Sept. 10 - 10am InGathering Sunday. Calendars and Fellowship following 10am worship.
Sept. 17 - Worship followed by potluck dinner, introductory meeting that is MANDATORY for PARENTS AND 8TH GRADE YOUTH.
Oct. 1 - Worship and "Check out the Bible"
Oct. 15 - Worship and "Belonging to God"
Nov. 5 - Worship and "Give me an S - Stewardship"
Nov. 19 - Worship and "Called in the Mission field" paired with packing of Thanksgiving Baskets
Nov. 21 - Morning (8-11am) Deliver Thanksgiving Baskets with Parents (optional)
Dec. 3 - Worship and "The Incarnation - Say What?"
Dec. 10 - 4:30-7pm 4:30-5:30pm Planning for Youth Christmas Eve Service, 5:30-6:15pm Dinner, 6:15-7:00pm Yankee Swap. Bring a wrapped gift, $10 max!
Dec. 17 - Make up day for Dec. 10 IF there is a cancellation. 4-5pm Planning session, 5-6pm Worship, 6-7pm Dinner
Dec. 23 - 6pm Being in/attending the Living Nativity (optional)
Dec. 24 - 7pm Youth led Christmas Eve service - particpation as a worship leader required at this service or on Easter Morning
Jan. 7 - Worship and "What is up with worship?"
Jan. 21 - Worship and "Youth - Your spiritual Life"
Feb. 4 - Choose either 10am or 5pm worship this Sunday
- 10am Worship, "Souper Bowl" offering taken
- 11am Annual Meeting, Attend with sponsor
- 4-5pm Class, "How do you spell Presbyterian?"
- 5-6pm Worship
Feb. 18 - Worship and "You are a Theologian!"
Mar. 4 - Worship and "Grace and Resurrection"
Mar. 11 - 5-6:30pm Confirmation class only - Writing statements of faith with your sponsor (No Dinner)
Mar. 18 - Worship and statements of faith week 2
Mar. 25 - Sharing statements of faith in evening worship with families followed by a celebration dinner
Apr. 1 8:30am Easter Sunday - Welcoming confirmands in worship
Summer 2018 Confirmission Mission Trip (TBA - usually last week in July)